Long Time, No See

Today I am grateful for safe travels and time with our son Sam over the weekend. I treasured the conversations, hugs, meals shared, and more.

It was "long time, no see" since we dropped him off on August 12. A few things have transpired in his life and in ours here at home in recent weeks. Transitions were coming anyway, and then made more interesting because of the pandemic. 

Letting go of my son has been an ongoing process that really started the day he was born. It is a beautiful and bittersweet process. And always one that is full of love. 

"Long time, no see" certainly applies in many other ways. I have only seen my mom twice since February, both times through a screen and out of range to touch and connect more directly. In normal times, some of us would have made our way to Alaska to support our sister Aileen, newly diagnosed with cancer in March. 

In normal times, there would have been graduations and other events to bring together our large family. Instead, it has been many months since I have seen several of my siblings and most of my nieces and nephews and their families. We stay connected in the ways we can, but it isn't the same.

It isn't the same. "Long time, no see" normal either, and it won't be back for quite awhile. When we do reach it, it will not be the normal we knew. That is pretty much gone forever. The current times have changed us. Some of that change is for the better, but so much of it has been unwelcome that we don't always see the silver linings. 

Silver linings. Right here, right now. Stay close to the appreciation that emerges when living gratefully. If "long time, no see" applies to my gratitude practice, I am in trouble. Stay close to the multitude of gifts that are always here, even in the most extreme and abnormal of times. One breath. One leaf. One color. One smile. 


Comments