Penthouse of Existence

Today I am grateful for endorphins, meaningful conversations, trust, and resilience. 

I am also grateful for these words and the reminders they offer: 

"Sometimes people get the mistaken notion that spirituality is a separate department of life, the penthouse of existence. But rightly understood, it is a vital awareness that pervades all realms of our being."  (Brother David Steindl-Rast)

The penthouse of existence sounds like a nice place to live, but unattainable and certainly not sustainable. Both feet on the ground and senses in tune to current surroundings, inside ourselves and in the world around us, is a wonderful place to reside. And this state of existence is both attainable and sustainable. 

To be fully alive is to have some sense of our mental, emotional, and spiritual realms, as well as our physical presence. Honestly, I can't get to these various realms by myself. I tend to get in my own way. I start thinking, doing, expecting, analyzing, regretting, pushing too much.  Bye-bye presence, hello frustration and exhaustion.

Starting with the vital awareness of spirituality that Brother David speaks of allows me to calm down, slow down, dial down the intensity that comes when I "flay myself with expectations." 

Gratefulness guides me to this vital awareness by heightening my sense of connection to others, the natural world, my Higher Power. In turn, the healthy connections and boundaries within are strengthened. Writing in my gratitude journal. Petting our dog. Sipping coffee. Breathing in fresh morning air. Saying some prayers. These are also guides. 

Who needs a penthouse suite when daily life is sweet with true presence? Less doing. More being. 

See you next week. I am taking a blog break for a few days. Be well. 



Comments