Natural Connections

Living gratefully today, I savor the splendor of the morning sky with moon, clouds and stars. I also notice the leaves floating to the ground and rustling in the breeze. 

The burden of our technological devices and the increasing presence of artificial intelligence remind me to pay attention to the connections that matter most. The direct connections with loved ones and Nature, not through an inanimate object. "The Social Dilemma" I wrote about yesterday can be countered with worthwhile connections, even in the midst of a pandemic that limits our ability to be together in the ways we most wish to be. 

And let's not forget the connections we make with ourselves. Our very own beating hearts, enlightened minds, and expanding souls. As soon as I pick up a device like my phone, there is at least some interference between me and the best parts of me. 

I won't be throwing my phone in the river anytime soon, but I am trying to be more mindful of how and when I use it. Every moment captured as a true connection is a worthy moment.

When there is a peace in my heart, the bond I feel for others, both those near and dear to me and those who simply share the planet with me, becomes a more kind and patient bond. 

This is summed up nicely in these words from Rachel Naomi Remen:

"When we know ourselves to be connected to all others, 

acting compassionately is simply the natural thing to do." 

Some days I feel the animosity and tension of our world more than I feel the connections. There is a dearth of compassion and kindness when I look in certain places. What can I do? Little old me?  Simply look others in the eye, show some warmth, and listen. 

Comments