Squirrels in the Stillness

Today I am grateful for warm socks and the convenience of bananas and clementines.

I have written about SQUIRRELS before, sometimes as pesky challenges. Today it is more as catalysts.

In a brief pause on a recent day, in that stillness I am seeking more, I readily picked up three squirrels in my line of vision. They were all moving, climbing, jumping-on trees, on piles of snow, doing what squirrels do. One would pause, as if to catch it's breath, then scurry off again.

Squirrels, when visible to us, don't stand still often. They are always moving. Sometimes their careless movement leaves them as road kill on a city street. But just as often, I will see one stop itself before it meets the tires of an oncoming vehicle.

Observing squirrels catalyzes the importance of intentionally pausing and gathering ourselves when that is a good idea, and springing into action when that is the best approach.  Sometimes I get those two things mixed up, then I end up mixed up.

In a moment of stillness, squirrels were my teachers. Who and what will be my teachers in the stillness that lies ahead in this day?

Comments