At 18 . . .

Today I am grateful for our son Sam and how being his mom continually enriches and enhances my life in so many ways. I am grateful for the journal I have been writing to him since before he was born. Several are now full of his life story through his mom's eyes and words.

Happy 18th Birthday Sam! It got here fast.

The senior picture is on the wall.
The post-secondary choice is finalized.
You are already a college student taking online classes.
Graduation and party dates are on the calendar.

Here you are at 5 months of age:


I love this picture, your smile, your embracing of the fun at hand. I have loved every step of the way as you have grown. One of my frequent prayers has been for your healthy growth and development.

You have helped me grow and develop too, as I have experienced motherhood over the years.

As I embrace the many mixed emotions surrounding this milestone and the upcoming milestones of you finishing high school and going off to college, I reflected back on my birthday blog posts for you from recent years. I pulled out these words:

At 14: "The last couple of years have seen the chubby cheeks give way to the lean look of a young man."

At 15: 15 Gratitudes for Sam, including "That he helps his dad and I balance each other out as parents."

At 16: "It is the time in his life when we as parents have to do more stepping back."

At 17: "Wistful. Bittersweet. Proud. Worried. Unconditional love. Amazing grace. Excited. Potential.
They all fit."

And now, at 18: I love you and am so proud of you for who you are. I am so excited for you and the next steps in your life. You are ready. You are already on your way.

Happy Birthday my son!

Comments