Ongoing Revisions

Today I am grateful for the ease of Bluetooth technology. I don't understand it, but I do appreciate it.
I am also grateful for every poem I have ever written. Each has served a purpose.

Some of those poems are long forgotten, and others are committed to memory. Some are full of pain and despair. Others brim with joy and transformation. Some are not well-written at all, while others stun me with their power.

For most of my early life, when I wrote a poem it was written and then done. I thought it a dishonor to make revisions, because the poem came out as a whole in a few moments in time. The poem had done the job it needed to do--getting out emotional toxicity that knew no other safe escape.

As I have evolved and learned as a writer, I have revisited the idea of making revisions to my poems.
I am currently revising some of my old "drinking poems." These are the life-savers that kept me from killing myself, accidentally or intentionally, at the height of my active alcoholism. The revising process is healing, comforting, powerful.

Making revisions can be applied to so much in life. Revised thinking takes hard work and also deals with words--the words we feed ourselves in our thought processes. Revised levels of gratefulness are attained by reconsidering complacency and altering awareness in periods of stillness.

I look forward to the ongoing revisions of treasured poems and to the ongoing revisions of this former self-defeating brain of mine.

What could use some revising in your life?  In this day?


Comments