Food on the Table

Today I am grateful for the nutritious and convenient food options my family and I have readily available to us each day, each meal. I try to choose wisely and also not to waste any.

The school I work at did a wonderful thing yesterday. We had a day of service to kick off Catholic Schools Week. A big thank you to all who helped plan and carry out this day.

It included traveling in two shifts to pack nutrition-packed meals for hungry children around the world. Each shift had around 400 students and adults in it from our grades 6-12 school. We packed over 186,000 meals, enough to feed more than 400 children every day for a year.

Feed My Starving Children (FMSC) is an amazing organization making a significant impact on world hunger. A statistic that stuck with me yesterday was that each day 6,200 children around the world die of hunger-related causes. EACH DAY that many lives are cut short, even though there is enough food on the planet to feed everyone.

To get some idea of the impact that FMSC especially, and other organizations and agencies, are having, a few years ago that number was over 18,000 children dying each day. FMSC makes a difference. Volunteers make a difference. Donations help.

Learn about their mission, success stories, how you can help, and much more on the Feed My Starving Children website.  I have been to FMSC numerous times, but I never tire of sealing bags or whatever my job may end up being for our two-hour shift. It is a heartening experience for me, and I can also see it and hear it in those I am working side-by-side with. Yesterday, that was several 6th and 7th graders.

Food on the table. Plenty in the fridge. The only time I go hungry really is when I choose to. I can function physically and mentally because I am properly fed. I so take this for granted on so many days, at so many meals.

Today, I will pause in mindful gratitude to give thanks for the food on the table and the many people and Mother Nature who helped get it to my family and I.


Comments