Gait as Gateway

Living gratefully today, I appreciate clean clothes, yogurt, and stocking caps.

As part of my physical therapy appointment last week, I ran on a treadmill while the PT videotaped me from a few different angles. The gait analysis clearly showed the quad-dependent runner I am, just like this picture from the 2014 St. Louis Rock 'n Roll Marathon shows when you look in the lower right corner:


Now that is a screaming quad! It was the late miles, so other parts were screaming too, but not that obviously. After my gait analysis last week though, my arm position and a bit of a forward lean became more noticeable to me. My PT recommended I focus on engaging my spine and shortening my stride, and she gave me some more exercises to strengthen my hips, and the sleepers--my hamstrings and glutes.

I mentioned to the physical therapist that I sometimes wondered if my mastectomies and flat chest had had any impact on my running form. It now is apparent that they had, but with a more emotional than physical cause.

After my bilateral mastectomy, I was more self-conscious and it took some time to get used to running flat. It also became something I appreciated for a variety of reasons...mainly not having to deal with running bras and chafing, and the ease of just putting a shirt on and going.

I have never regretted my decision, but I also didn't just wake up smiling post-mastectomy and go about my merry way. In the vulnerability of those early months, I likely drew myself in a little for protection and leaned forward slightly. Over the years, this became my usual form and that led to, or at least contributed to, some of the muscle and joint under- and over-use.

So in the few runs I have taken since this appointment, I have focused on engaging my spine, looking straight ahead, quickening my cadence. This gait focus has proven to be a gateway to renewal in other ways as well.

Engage the healthy mind. Engage the full potential of spirit. Engage the heart of genuine and true emotions. Faith always leads, so look straight ahead and there it is.

Comments