Who and What I Would Miss . . .

Today I am grateful for time with our grandson Leo and his mom Emily yesterday, and for the technology that allows us to see our other grandson Aaron across the miles.

I started my own list yesterday, stemming from what I wrote about in my post, of who and what I would miss if they were no longer here:

-Warm clothes to wear on a bitterly cold day, protecting me from frostbite and the pain of a biting wind.
-Our dog Oliver and his predictable presence in various places around the house throughout the day.
-My husband Darcy and our communication on the mundane things like meals to the heartfelt things like how we feel about our jobs decades into our respective careers.
-A house to clean. It is warm and solid, and full of family stuff and also conveniences. I have floors and carpet to vacuum.
-The rare friends who I trust with anything and everything going on in my life, my head, and my heart. To have one is a huge blessing, to have more than one is deeply humbling. And knowing that they are just a phone call or text away is a real comfort.
-My son Sam, even when his teen angst comes out sideways.
-My grandsons Leo and Aaron and witnessing my stepchildren as parents.
-The kitchen we have with many appliances and plenty of food in the fridge and in the cupboards.

It didn't take long for the list to grow, along with a keen awareness. Focusing on who and what I do have in my life helps me treat all of us better. I am more patient and kind and tolerant when I consider the fullness, not the frustrations.

Living gratefully is about slowing down and being aware. We notice so much more, appreciate so much more. It's that simple, and that hard.

Comments