Shaky Flakes

Today I am grateful for overnight oatmeal as a quick and healthy breakfast and for the opportunities I get each day to make a difference in the lives of students, colleagues, and parents.

Yesterday I carried with me the idea of existing in a "more tender, shaky kind of place" as suggested by Pema Chodron. It brought me increased awareness, one of the most valuable rewards of pausing mindfully. It brought more compassion to my demeanor and approach.

I noticed the tender and shaky sound of a bird singing in late winter. They sound more confident in the spring. I paid attention to the icy walkways under my feet. My steps were more deliberate and slow. I am not one to tempt fate.

As the day went on, I had several opportunities to witness and be sensitive to a wide range of feelings other people were expressing and exhibiting. Feelings, in their raw and real state, are some of life's biggest gifts and teachers.

And then I went for a run outside after work, just as some snowflakes were starting to fly. They were random and sporadic; solo flakes making their way down to the ground. Snowflakes are tender by nature, unless they are the wind-driven and icy. These were the tender variety.

Here's what came to my mind: These early flakes must be introverts, preferring to travel alone and land apart from the crowd. That is me and how I best rejuvenate-with time to myself. By taking time to live gratefully in this moment. It doesn't happen every minute of every day, yet it amazes me how even a few moments of mindful presence can shape my day for the better.

Honor your own healthy ways to rejuvenate today. Sit in that "more tender, shaky kind of place" for a bit.

Comments