Bright Lights

Today I am grateful for safe travels and the chance to experience New York City for the first time. I am also grateful for my fellow chaperones and the students who helped me see things through different perspectives.

A special thank you to our lead teacher Judy and all the work she puts in to plan and lead this trip, and to my fellow chaperones Kelley, Ben, Mallory, Jess, and Mitch.

New York City and the surrounding area is an amazing place and has so much to see and take in. It was overwhelming at times, and one thing that struck me was the light. Lots of light. The lights of the skyline from the 86th floor observation deck at the Empire State Building on our first night, with One World Trade Center in the middle:


Or some of the multitude of bright and flashing lights that make Times Square both a beacon and a trap for travelers, shoppers, and locals and visitors alike who want to experience the true hustle and bustle of NYC:


From my window seat on our return flight last evening, I was floored by the expansive sea of urban lights that lasted for quite some time as we flew west. The farm girl from rural Iowa likes her quiet and open spaces. She likes the natural dark of night and light of day. The artificial light gets to be too much.

I sure appreciate the opportunity to have the experience of the brights lights of NYC though. 

Comments