Twenty Years of Valentine's Days

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy, our love, our marriage, our lives together. I am also grateful for the ways I have been able to move from self-hatred to self-love.

Last year's post Mr. Valentine summed up things pretty well regarding my thoughts and feelings toward my Valentine. And Happy Valentine's Day was my first  February 14 post on Habitual Gratitude five years ago.

Today's post is about Darcy and I marking twenty years of Valentine's Days together with a little stroll down memory lane to the first Valentine's Day that we shared, back in 1998.

We met in early November of 1997, while living two hours apart and in two different states. Before long, we were spending our weekends together. It just so happened that Valentine's Day fell on a Saturday that year, so we got to spend it together. We got dressed up and went out to eat at a nice Italian place in Sioux Falls.

I wore a new outfit that Darcy gave me, and we both wore the smiles and glow of new love. It was that special dinner where we first shared the depth of our feelings for one another and talked about a future together. It was heady stuff for this long single woman.

Our love today is deeper and stronger than it was then, but you can't beat the freshness and intensity of new love. I appreciate the memory of that special date and conversation twenty years ago.

I thought about posting a picture of Darcy and I, but what counts is in our hearts and no picture can truly capture that. It's between our hearts.

Today is a good day to recognize the love in our lives. What we give, what we receive, and for ourselves too. Living gratefully helps me love gratefully.

I will be taking a blog break until early next week. I look forward to returning with new stories and more gratitude to share. In the meantime, feel free to go back to previous posts. There's a few to keep you reading. Have a good day!


Comments