Hushed Expectation

Today I am grateful for my sense of smell and my other four senses and what they allow me to experience in my immediate surroundings. I am also grateful for the mindfulness techniques I am encouraged to try.

Here is one suggested by Brother David Steindl-Rast:

"May you grow still enough to hear the stir of a single snowflake in the air, so that 
your inner silence may turn into hushed expectation." 

Hearing snowflakes?  I can feel them and see them, but hear them?  I think what Brother David is suggesting is we can hear the silence and appreciate that. And then we may actually hear the smaller, quieter sounds that usually get crowded out.

We got a little light snow last night, so I was out shoveling while the last flakes wrapped up. I paused and listened for the stirring of that single snowflake. I saw the glint of flakes in the streetlight. I felt one gently land on the corner of my eye as I looked up. I heard the silence, even though I also heard the sounds of the trappings of modern life--traffic, our clothes dryer vent, the buzz of electricity.

I appreciated the pauses I took and the opportunity to live gratefully in each of those moments. I found some inner silence at the start of what will likely be another hectic day. When there is inner silence, there is anticipation for the next moment, the next opportunity to breathe in hushed expectation.

Hushed expectation awaiting the unfolding of a new day.



Comments