Big City

Today I am grateful for songs that come through my ears but reach my whole body. I am also grateful for letting go and resting instead of continuing to push.

You saw "Big City" coming didn't you, after Monday's "Bright Lights" post? New York City is by far the largest city in the United States, with over 8.5 million residents. The entire metropolitan area around NYC has over 20 million people, with roughly 1 in 16 Americans living in this urban area.

The mind-boggling part is that neither NYC or the metro area hit the list of the 10 largest cities in the world. Tokyo, Japan tops that list with over 24 million people, and 34 million in its metropolitan area.  I will stick to my small community and appreciate being just a short distance from wide open farm land.

One of the most captivating things to me during my brief visit to New York City was the view of the skyline. Here is Lower Manhattan from our ferry as we headed to Ellis Island on Saturday:


The number of skyscrapers is impressive, and even the shorter buildings in this picture are far bigger than most buildings have been everywhere I have lived. The cityscape will always impress me. Just as the wide open skies and miles of landscape visible on the horizon impress me.

Living gratefully gives me perspective. Seeing different parts of my homeland give me perspective.
I appreciate a new day ahead with new experiences, and potential perspective shifts. 

Comments