Some Graham Crackers and a Memory

Today I am grateful for my ears and ability to hear, for my eyes and ability to see, for clean air to breathe, and on a simpler note, for graham crackers.

Graham crackers are an old standby. I may forget about them for months and then go on a stretch where I eat them for months. My boys and I are on a roll these days. We always have a box on hand and we’ll all enjoy some as a go-to snack. They can help me calm a sweet craving without feeling like I really blew it, like a pint of ice cream would.

I like them with peanut butter or just plain. But I especially like them with milk, and will dip them in the milk for the full experience. Graham crackers. Tasty. Simple. Affordable. Effective. A good food to keep available in our house.

There’s another way to enjoy graham crackers that is a little more decadent--with frosting. Pleasant childhood memories come up when I think about frosted graham crackers. Birthdays were simple celebrations then, and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, in my opinion, there's a lot right with that.

Mom would make the birthday boy or girl a homemade angel food cake. When she frosted it, she put a graham cracker square over the hole in the middle and then frosted over it. When it was time to cut the cake and have some ice cream, whoever's birthday it was would get the coveted frosted graham cracker. It never tasted so good!

Life's simple pleasures. What are some I can notice today?

Comments

  1. I remember the frosted graham crackers! we always had angel food cake for birthdays until I got "older". :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment