This Little Candle

Today I am grateful for warm clothes to put on to take Oliver out on bitterly cold mornings and for the joy on faces of little kids at an indoor playground.

We enjoyed our holiday weekend and the time with family. I appreciate good travel weather and the chance to catch up with our niece Brittany. I am thankful to my sister Zita and her husband Randy for hosting our large gathering on Saturday. It is always meaningful to me to spend time with my siblings and their families, and I appreciate that Mom was feeling up to the event as well.

I also give thanks for FaceTime which allowed us to connect with one grandson and the time we spent with our other grandson in person. Our own immediate family is spread out more and growing, but doing well overall. I enjoyed a game of Yahtzee and later a game of Phase 10 with my boys on a quiet holiday all cozy and well-fed in our well-heated home. I give thanks for phone conversations with siblings across the miles.

The gratitude flowed in many ways on these past few days. Like it always does when I pay attention.

And I appreciated attending Christmas Eve church services and the beautiful music we enjoyed hearing and experiencing. We ended the service with this little candle, symbolizing the light of Jesus, the hope in His birth:


We each had our own candle, as we shared the flame from one to the next. Spreading light and warmth in the small act of putting flame to the next person's awaiting candle wick. There is certainly significance in the religious realm on Christmas Eve. That significance is there for each of us too, regardless of whether there is any religious affiliation or not.

We are each born with our own light, made brighter by the love and care of others, and then carried forward by our own efforts. That is my focus today. My own efforts to share light and not extinguish my own or anyone else's with harsh words or selfish actions.

Onward! My little candle and I move forward.

Comments

  1. A wonderful thought. Spread the good -with the light. You have been an inspiration for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small efforts and pauses, big rewards and insights. That's the secret in practicing gratitude. Thanks Lana!

      Delete

Post a Comment