Flashlight, Phone-Style

Today I am grateful for a neighborhood holiday gathering and the chance to meet some new people. I am also grateful for the flashlight on my phone.

There is a convenience and a sense of security in that flashlight on my phone. I pretty much always know where my phone is, so I pretty much always have a source of light available if needed. That is, of course, as long as I keep the phone's battery charged.

I am getting better also at remembering that the flashlight is there, readily available. I am of the generation that remembers a different kind of flashlight, and those still serve their purpose too.

An analogy begs to be drawn here. I have a light source available to me at all times in the form of faith. I am not speaking of religion here, I am speaking of spirituality, of a belief in a power beyond human, beyond me. I have been calling this power Great Spirit lately. It fits.

The Great Spirit never leaves me. I sometimes leave it. Sort of like forgetting to keep my phone's battery charged or forgetting that the flashlight is there when I might need it. This is where my daily recovery work serves me well. If I do the daily work, I keep my battery of faith charged and I am
quicker to reach out to the Great Spirit for guidance, clarity, courage.

Flashlights, phone-style. Faith, daily-effort-style. I appreciate both being available to me.

Comments