Sundogs

Today I am grateful for phone conversations and blog comments that remind me that my writing endeavors make a difference. I am also grateful for laughs shared with Darcy at an entertaining movie.

On Tuesday, this was my view mid-morning:


One of a pair of sundogs. A visual treat that we don't see often. My memory says we usually see them when it is bitterly cold. Compensation for the bone-chilling temperatures I guess. A little research tells me that they can happen anytime, anywhere. They involve ice crystals, come in pairs, are in the halo family, and are also called parhelions.  They tend to form when the sun is closer to the horizon. 

I do like to get a little additional information on things I don't fully understand. But that doesn't mean I think I will come to a full understanding. I just like to keep learning. And relearning. 

I also like to just keep enjoying what nature provides us. The cold goes through me more harshly as I get older, but I still appreciate the changing seasons, the warm clothes I have, the heated house I can return to.

I appreciate the awe and magnificent scope of the planets, stars, our Sun and moon. I enjoy the colorful sundogs when they show up.  A reminder to pay attention to my surroundings, to get outside, to pause in gratitude. 

That's all. That's enough.

Comments

  1. sundogs... never heard of them. I wonder if they are in Oregon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t see them often and it tends to be when it is below zero cold. I don’t think most places in Oregon experience that very often.

      Delete

Post a Comment