Twenty Years and Running . . .

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy, our lives together, our growing family, and the role of fate on the day we met, twenty years ago today. I am also grateful for my friend Sheila and the two conversations we shared yesterday.

This post, written five years ago today, tells the story of how we met. It's a good story for me to read now, to refresh my memory of that day, a day that changed my life forever. And of a man and a marriage that have fulfilled me in so many ways over the last twenty years.

It took me years into adulthood to love myself, much less feel lovable and attractive to the opposite sex. About the time I had come to a healthy level of self-acceptance, and some acceptance about whether or not I would ever meet the right man, is about the time I met Darcy.

Has it been a 20-year honeymoon? Let's be honest. Marriage is hard work some days. Any healthy relationship takes effort, compromise, respect, forgiveness, and much more. But I can honestly say that Darcy and I have a strong and solid relationship. It started on November 8, 1997, when we both brought our true selves to our first meeting.

We continue to bring our true selves to each day. Sometimes that can be messy, or loud, but so often it is a dose of gratitude for the sense of understanding, care, shared goals, and mutual respect and support we have. The attraction we share today is different than the attraction that brought us together, but they are both rich and meaningful in our shared story.

Twenty years and running . . . running literally side by side on many of our runs, and also running on gratitude for what we have together.  Thank you Darcy! I love you.

Comments

Post a Comment