Its Own Blessing

Today I am grateful for the mystery and awe of the moon and stars in the early morning sky. I am also grateful for the various sounds I could hear as I paused on this morning's walk with our dog Oliver.

Consider these words:

"There are many things to be grateful "for" but, as I ripen with the seasons
of life, the many reasons blend into a sacred mystery. And, most deeply,
I realize that living gratefully is its own blessing."
(Michael Mahoney)

Ripening with the seasons of life is itself a gift. I consider that this morning as I read about the early death of a fellow blogger from metastatic breast cancer. Acknowledging the many sacred mysteries in this life requires an open mind and heart, and a daily leap of faith. I consider that as I work to keep my ego right-sized and my motives unselfish. 

Then, I consider the richness that 22 years of active gratitude practice has added to the moments, hours, days, weeks, months, and years over that time. Living gratefully is indeed its own blessing, deeply felt and experienced.

I am not spared life's challenges and curve balls, both those handed to me by fate and those handed to me by my own human weaknesses and flaws. Yet, I am given a strength and purpose through gratefulness. Enough to move forward, to maintain hope, to put my energy into the positive stream of life.

It has made all the difference. It continues to make all the difference.  

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. By living gratefully, even when I may not feel all that grateful, the grace and wisdom of life seem to be more available. That's when I remind myself to pay attention, to seek the lesson. Thanks Steve!

      Delete

Post a Comment