Pedaling and Peddling

Today I am grateful for my thumbs and all that they make it possible for me to do with my hands. I am also grateful for the opportunity I have to be a sober and recovering person today.

Yesterday afternoon, my husband Darcy and I went for a bike ride. It was brisk, chilly, windy, and hilly at times, but we both were glad we were out there pedaling. We have bikes that work, legs that work, and each other. Many blessings to pedal about.

I also heard some words of wisdom from a fellow recovering person yesterday, as I often do. He spoke about "peddling b.s." It made me chuckle. Peddling b.s. is what happens to my thoughts when I forget to be grateful, when fear and ego grow, and the power source greater than myself gets crowded out.

Plenty of b.s. starts getting peddled through my overactive and perfectionistic brain. Energy gets misdirected and actions become misguided. On the other hand, or foot as the case may be, pedaling my bicycle and peddling gratitude bring clarity of thought. Energy returns. Actions are healthier.

Thank you to both my bike pedals and my recovery friend for reminding me what thoughts to focus my peddling on today.

Comments

  1. Peddling b.s. - I do plenty of that - but enough already. Today I will focus on gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s good for me to think of it this way— pedaling a bike takes me places, while peddling b.s. basically gets me nowhere.

      Delete

Post a Comment