Curve Balls and Taking Pitches

Today I am grateful for safe travels this weekend and for the time with Darcy's family to celebrate our niece Maycee's high school graduation.

Congratulations to both Maycee and our niece Marissa who also graduated from high school yesterday. Best wishes in your future endeavors. You each have good direction and drive and we are proud of you!

I want to also express my sadness on the death of my Aunt Marie. Marie is my mom's oldest sister and they lived within miles of one another for most of their years together. Marie was 92 and had a full and meaningful life. I remember visiting her and Uncle Paul's family growing up. I remember having little chats with Marie over the years about what was up in my life and how she and her family were doing. Her husband Paul died just weeks after my dad and they are buried next to one another in our church cemetery.

Darcy ended up feeling pretty crummy this weekend. Enough so that we went into urgent care yesterday morning before beginning our travels home. We thought he might have strep throat. He doesn't. It's a tough virus though and it's really wore him down. I am grateful I could do the driving and take care of things when we got home so he could continue resting.

I guess this all has me thinking about life's curve balls and the importance of letting some pitches go by. Our niece Maycee is an avid and talented softball player. She will continue her playing career in college. We are in the midst of Sam's baseball season. It's not surprising that a baseball/softball analogy came to mind.

Curve balls will come our way pretty much daily. Some are easy to see and handle, others knock us off our feet a bit. Doing the next right thing and finding some gratitude in a situation help us get back up, brush ourselves off and proceed.

Then there are those pitches and life situations that we just need to watch go by. Keep the bat on the shoulder and the mouth closed. Acceptance of the situation as it is. Patience to wait for a better pitch to come along.

Today is a new day. Batter up!

Comments