Sweeping

Today I am grateful for the simplicity of leftovers to make a nice meal and for my physical capabilities.

Those physical capabilities allow me to partake in the second "s" word I would like to blog about: sweeping. I am one of those people who enjoys cleaning activities if I can see my progress. I like to notice my efforts paying off.

That is why I have always liked sweeping. I grew up in a large farmhouse with one carpeted room. Lots of wood and linoleum to keep clean, and lots of us in the family to carry in dirt and such. My memory tells me we swept some floors daily or more; like the kitchen. Bedrooms didn't get swept as often. When I swept, I always picked up something. If it was the basement I was sweeping, you could really see how much it helped. It was a satisfying chore. (I'm sure there were times I argued and tried to get out of it, but it certainly ranked above other chores I had to do.)

So I have never balked too much at having to sweep. Now, I live in a mostly carpeted home, but I still get my sweeping fix with kitchen linoleum and entryway tile. I especially like sweeping the garage every few weeks. It really freshens the place up. I am already looking forward to that nice spring day when I can sweep winter out of the garage. (And what a winter we are having!)

I don't want to take for granted the physical nature of sweeping and that I can handle it. I am grateful for working arms and legs.

And speaking of handle, I am grateful for the broom handle I used after my mastectomies. I used it to do exercises to get back the range of motion and strength in my arms, shoulders, and chest. A broom handle was a fitting companion for my surgery recovery.

Comments