Recycle

Today I am grateful for my sense of touch and the nice feel of my favorite sweatshirt or blanket against my skin. I am also grateful for my job.

Recycle is my first "r" word. I think of many aspects of the word; reusing, extracting useful material, adapting. I appreciate the recycling programs that are now prevalent and do make some strides in helping our environment and making better use of the resources we have. But I am also concerned about all the packaging-and the energy, resources, and chemicals required to create it all-that we are surrounded by these days. I try to be a good consumer when it comes to purchases I make and recycling I can do. There's plenty more I could be doing though, so I will keep working on it.

I appreciate my metal water bottle that I fill several times a day. The water tastes good in it and I save some plastic in the process.

I appreciate our local waste management agency and the weekly recycling service they conveniently provide. We have a receptacle we can fill for curbside pick-up every Thursday in our neighborhood.

Thoughts can be recycled too. Some of mine need to be disposed of once and for all, like the self-pity and self-hatred that were once tracks on repeat mode in my mind. But positive thoughts like what I have to be grateful for, the people who love me, the goals I get to work for each day are thoughts that can and should be recycled.

Daily gratitude practice is healthy recycling. It creates a better environment in my mind, heart, and soul.

Comments