Illuminate

Today I am grateful for laughter in our house and for a family trip to our local "Y" yesterday.

The "I" word of the day is illuminate: to supply or brighten with light; to enlighten spiritually or intellectually. There are areas of my life that growth and recovery have helped me bring out in the light and heal. As well as areas of potential that are now being realized.

I appreciate the illumination of my writing in recent years. From poet to essayist. From private journaler to public blogger. From unpublished to published. I am amazed at what I am learning because of this illumination.

But I also am thinking about something people in my part of the world take very much for granted:how electricity illuminates our world. Arguably, there is too much light, even a growing discussion of light pollution. Think about various electronics and the light they can emit. Too much light can disrupt sleep, so we try to keep it dark in our house when it needs to be dark.

But I sure appreciate the convenience of flipping on a switch and having the safety and comfort of a well-lit area to proceed with the task at hand.

I appreciate the literal illumination provided by modern technology. But also the figurative illumination of my spiritual and intellectual selves via the practice of habitual gratitude.

Comments