Junk

Today I am grateful for the working parts that comprise my body. I am also grateful for the treasures of life that I have been able to keep over the years.

Junk is today's word. It came to mind as I went through a decade's worth of Christmas cards, and then some. Not because I thought any of the cards were junk, because when I unearthed the decade's worth of correspondence, I also unearthed what I would consider junk.

I am a keeper. Very sentimental. I have A LOT of stuff I have kept over the years. Much of it I am grateful I took the time to preserve. Much of it brings positive emotions, but some bring painful or unpleasant emotions. But both emotions, a whole range of them, are part of my life story and I am grateful for the tangible reminders of lessons learned, love loved.

Treasures at one time can turn to junk later. Time passes, making what may have been junk, now treasure. It goes both ways.

And then there's the junk in my head. Negative thoughts, self-pity, fear can clutter it up pretty quickly in there. Gratitude practice helps keep the junk out of my thoughts. That is a real blessing.

Comments