Knees

Today I am grateful for a phone conversation with my friend Jenny and a chance to catch up. I am also grateful for my knees and what they have done for me over the years.

I don't ever want to take my knees and their health and strength for granted. They have carried me well for 48 years and I want them to last for many more years. I am fortunate that I haven't had any serious knee issues. I try to do strength training and mix up my exercise regimen to keep them strong.My husband and I also utilize the run-walk method on our long training runs and in our marathons. (We walk for 45 seconds to a minute each mile.) That helps our knees and the rest of our bodies as well.

There have been a couple of times when I was slowed by a knee concern. They were minor issues and rest, ice, compression, and elevation did the trick. But those times served as clear reminders of how important it is to take care of my knees. I am also a "large-framed gal" so my knees pull their weight and then some. It serves as motivation to take off a few of the post-marathon, holiday season pounds I put on.

My knees both carry a bunch of scars too. None that I can tell you a specific story about anymore.Lots of scraped knees when riding bikes on gravel roads. Scraped knees in my softball playing days.The scars give my knees character, and a story to tell.

Most importantly, these knees are part of these legs that have logged thousands of miles running, one step at a time. I am grateful for each step, each mile, the mobility I have. Thanks to my knees!

Comments