Register

Today I am grateful for my marriage to my husband Darcy and for a computer that works.

There are many meanings for today's word: register. But the former Civics and Government teacher in me is thinking about registering to vote. I am grateful to live in a democracy where I have the right to vote. I thank those who fought first for our freedom and then for the right to vote for more and more people.

There are still many around the world who aren't given the opportunity to have a say by voting. Sadly, many in this country don't take advantage of the opportunity. I have been a registered voter in three states and I vote even in the off-year elections, the ones that get the lowest turnout. I vote in local elections. I think it is important to participate and I also think it is my duty. There is much to be critical of in our current political system, but the "if you didn't vote, don't complain" saying still rings true. It has to start with action on the part of each individual. I will try to be a good citizen today.Enough about that from this former Social Studies teacher.

When I practice gratitude, the gifts that I am surrounded by register more readily in my mind and heart. I would rather register blessings than curses. I can't avoid the curses entirely, but gratitude practice certainly keeps them in perspective better and doesn't allow them to take on a life of their own. Gratitude can and does take on a life all it's own. That is a good thing. Positive breeds positive.

Register some gratitude today.

Comments