What's Your Alleluia?

Today I am grateful for sunshine and recovery from alcoholism. I am grateful for the people who support me in that recovery. They are many.

I also appreciate additional soul-stirring sounds I noticed yesterday. They included: the way our dog Oliver sighs when he settles in for a rest and hearing Adele sing "Rolling in the Deep" while I was out running. She can sure belt it out!

I have one more thought about soul-stirring sounds and the "Alleluia Chorus" I heard on Sunday at church. It got me thinking about the word "alleluia" which basically means a song of praise.

My alleluia is this: I have had two diseases that kill people every day. I am a recovering alcoholic since 1989 and a breast cancer patient since 2008, with no evidence of disease (NED).  I am walking, talking, running, writing, living, loving, laughing. That's my alleluia and it brings profound gratitude.

I may not use my vocal cords to sing that song of praise often, but the rest of me is singing in various ways.

I work daily on my recovery from alcoholism and I have plenty of support in that work: family, friends, fellow recovering people, my Higher Power.

I also work daily to maintain my health. I exercise, take Tamoxifen and Vitamin D, drink lots of water, try to get enough sleep, have regular appointments with health care professionals, and watch what I eat (though this last one is the biggest area I could improve on).

What's your alleluia? What are you here to praise today?

Comments