Gratitudinal Adjustment

Today I am grateful for simple pleasures like playing catch in the backyard with my son (the snow is almost gone again) and Culver's frozen custard. I am also grateful for my sister Aileen-her writings and her words of wisdom inspire me.

She has also added another derivative to our gratitude word list: Gratitudinal adjustment.

She joins my sisters Danita and Leonice and their contributions: Gratituding and Gratitudeness

The reason practicing gratitude is so valuable to me is that it keeps me from slipping into self-pity. Self-pity used to be my default mode. Poor Lisa. Life is tough. No one understands. What's the use? The eighteen years I have practiced gratitude have been about putting self-pity in its place. But it is a process, not a task that is ever fully completed. I still have slips, going to the dark side of my thoughts.

Insert a gratitudinal adjustment. Whatever has me down or frustrated can be offset by the many things that are going well, the many blessings that come my way daily. That includes the many things I too often take for granted-my husband, our home, my ability to walk, talk, and breathe to name a few. A gratitudinal adjustment brings me back to a more even keel.

Gratitude doesn't prevent difficult and painful emotions or feelings of frustration. They are part of life and they serve their purpose. Gratitude makes their stay shorter, their energy-zapping less.

The other thing I appreciate about gratitudinal adjustments is that they can be applied any time of the day. If I am into my negative thinking for a time, I can pull myself out of it with some gratitude action. If the day has been difficult, and not just because of my thoughts, I can apply a fresh dose of gratitude and be given at least a little hope and perspective. (Doing an A-Z gratitude list, doing a 3 x 3, saying a sincere thank you to someone, writing a list, taking a gratitude walk, and so on.)

I am applying a gratitudinal adjustment right now as I write in my journal. Thanks Aileen!

Comments

  1. Ok, now that three of the sisters have come up with words, I'm feeling a little pressure for the rest of us to do this as well. You just never know when something may come to me! I will let you know of course if I do. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pressure Zita! Just gratitude that we are all sisters and we are all able and willing to plug along each day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment