Robin Roberts: A Heartfelt Thank You

Today I am grateful for my job. I am grateful for the rewards and challenges that come with it, and for the paycheck.

This last Sunday, Robin Roberts was on the cover of Parade Magazine. I don't always pick up the quick read, but when I saw her on the cover, I definitely wanted to see what the article, titled "A Heartfelt Thank You," was about. I have followed her story enough to appreciate where she is coming from and that she has likely helped many others with her candor and her courage. The Good Morning America anchor recently returned to work after months of treatment, including a bone marrow transplant, for a serious blood disorder called myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS).

Roberts was treated for breast cancer in 2007. The chemotherapy she had at that time likely caused or contributed to the development of MDS. That's the downside of cancer treatment. It can lead to further complications. Her mother also passed away during these last few months. Talk about a double whammy! She could have been angry and bitter about the recent developments, but she chose a more resilient, positive approach. I think that is always better for the patient and the people around them.

It doesn't mean denial and always "putting on a happy face." But it does mean that being grateful for the support and care one receives, being grateful for the chance to live this day, can improve one's outlook and actually contribute to better healing and a quicker return to health. That was what was relayed to me in this article. I believe a similar approach helped me in 2008 when I went through eight months of tests, surgeries, and treatment (chemotherapy) for breast cancer.

There were tough days, but remaining grateful helped me push through them, and helped me keep things in perspective. I allowed the difficult emotions to be felt, I just didn't let them stick around too long. I need my energy for more productive pursuits.

The Parade article closes with this quote from Roberts:
"I think that I am being used for light and love and resilience. For whatever reason, I'm able to touch people, and I'm so grateful for that."

What am I being used for today? What is my purpose? Staying in gratitude helps me find and pursue that purpose.

Comments