Imprecision, Yawning, and More

Today I am grateful for friends in recovery-to have coffee with, to bowl with, to shop with. I am also grateful for a nice family outing to see my school's production of the musical "Grease." It was well-done and entertaining.

Friday's blessing from 99 Blessings by Brother David Steindl-Rast about imprecision got me thinking. There are many things on which I can and should be okay with imprecision. I'm not perfect. Neither is anyone else or this world we live in. But precision is also a good thing when it is reasonable and rational. I never thought I would be shoveling snow for three days in a row in April, but that's the kind of weather we are having. Wednesday through Friday, I did some shoveling each day. I appreciate being physically able to do the shoveling, and I also appreciate it is an area I can showcase precision. I like a clear driveway. The whole driveway. And I like to get the shoveling done early in the day if possible. Precision via thoroughness and timeliness. I get exercise, fresh air, a sense of accomplishment, and a less treacherous driveway to walk and drive on. Not a bad use of precision.

A second blessing I would like to share from 99 Blessings by Brother Steindl-Rast is #62:

"Source of all blessings, you bless us with yawning- that good deep yawning, the body's full confession to being (still or already) sleepy, first the jaws admitting it, then neck, shoulders, back, and every muscle, down to legs and toes. Relaxed and pajama-drowsy, we smile sheepishly. May I keep in readiness that smile, as contagious as yawning itself, and use its power to defuse tension."

I appreciate the physical nature of this blessing, but how that then ties back to mental and emotional states. They are so deeply intertwined. Gratitude practice helps make that a healthy intertwining.

Share some smiles. Spread some contagious yawns. Defuse some tension.

Comments