Gift or Entitlement?

Today I am grateful for the fresh air and sunshine we enjoyed yesterday . . . from a morning run, to yard work, to grilling brats and eating outside. I am also grateful for patience. There's room for improvement but it's better than it was.

Practicing gratitude helps ensure that I don't take many significant gifts for granted, at least not all of the time. It is easy to take things for granted. Do you know anyone who takes their blessings for granted, who doesn't appreciate what they have because they believe they are simply entitled to it? Sure, we all know people like that. We are all that person at times. But the less I take things for granted, the more blessed I feel.

It is easy to take our ability to walk, talk, eat, breathe, and see for granted. Sadly, too often it is only when someone loses one of these abilities that the full realization of the gift that it was hits.

An accident, illness, someone's own choices, or someone else's choices takes away an ability. If the victim remains angry and bitter, they will never fully appreciate the avenues that opened up when another avenue was closed.

Practicing gratitude has helped me feel more fortunate, less entitled.

And one of the silver linings of my cancer diagnosis is that I no longer take as much for granted as I used to. 

If I move through my day seeing gifts, not entitlements, I will take better care of myself and my surrounding world.

Comments