Amazing Nature

Today I am grateful for the footfalls that carried Oliver and I on our morning walk. I am also grateful for the high intensity training workout that my niece Katie sent me. It is an intense 12 minutes, but my body says "thank you" after it recovers.

I know I was complaining a little yesterday about our weather, but I still find plenty of reasons to appreciate it. Yesterday morning brought one such reason. The roads were mostly clear and wet, so the commute to work wasn't bad. I appreciate that. But what I appreciated more was the absolute spectacle I got to enjoy on that commute. The snow-laden trees were as picturesque as it gets. Absolutely stunning. Amazing nature. A picture could not do it justice. Such beauty is only fully appreciated when one is part of the landscape.

Sure, I would have rather been walking down the trail near our house enjoying the view, compared to driving to work enjoying the view. But the key is I was enjoying the view.

By my afternoon commute, the trees had lost their snow cover and were back to brown and drab, awaiting buds and leaves. Many things we notice and are thankful for don't stick around. That is why it is so important to be mindful and aware of blessings as we go through our day.

I grew up appreciating nature. Growing up on a farm gave me more of a glimpse into each season and the true nature of nature than you can get when you live in the city. From the crops in the fields to the baby chicks this time of the year, from the newborn calves and kittens to the smells of hay and fresh milk blending together, I found respect for such wonder at an early age.

I love being outside. I love experiencing all that nature has to offer. And I appreciate my five senses which help me fully take in what I experience.

Earth Day was observed earlier this week. Let us remember the truth in "every day is Earth day" so we each do our part to preserve it.

Comments