Taking the Actions

Today I am grateful for the people I have met through my breast cancer experiences. They are definite silver linings in the dark cloud of cancer. I am also grateful for more mindful eating.

Today I am thinking about the actions required to make gratitude practice really pay off. I can't just think about being grateful. I need to take actions that promote gratitude in my own life and pass it on to others.

I continue my daily gratitude journal. I now include prayer requests in what I write down. That allows me to personally think about people I may be especially concerned about that day-upcoming surgery, awaiting test results, mental health concerns, future plans, and so on. But it also allows me to get out of myself and find a better perspective. Most days my concerns are very minor in comparison to the people I am praying for. Perspective.

I just sent out gratitude letters #22 and #23. I encouraged my niece, recipient of letter #22, to now write a letter herself to give to someone else. If you are reading this and have received a gratitude letter from me, I urge you to do the same. Pass it on. Take the action. If you are reading this and haven't gotten a gratitude letter from me, start writing your own and pass them along. There is power in the action. There is synergy in the sharing.

In recovery from alcoholism, I can't think myself well. I need to take concrete actions. Daily. The same is true for enhancing my level of gratitude. Regular effort required.

What actions are you taking today to grow your own gratitude?

Comments