And the Cup Says . . . Think of Me as Half Full

Today I am grateful for rest and good books to read. I'm grateful for my five senses and the way I can take in the seasonal weather with them.

Last week on our travels, we stayed at a hotel with a nice pool, a good breakfast, and fun-to-read cups. The cups for hot beverages said something like "Cover me up, I'm getting cold."  Catchy. The cold beverage cups waxed philosophical with this line: "Think of me as half full . . ."

Is the glass half empty or half full? Overused cliche or not, I do like the philosophy of life the half full glass represents. It fits nicely with gratitude, allowing us to appreciate what we have so we know some joy in our lives, rather than the energy-sucking endeavor of always wanting more.

But all of us apply this philosophy differently at various times. Recent Minnesota weather is a good example of this. When we got our first snow late last fall it was beautiful and it was exciting to me. I hadn't seen snow for months, we had had a very hot summer, and it was refreshing.

Yesterday afternoon, it started to snow here. We've had snow on the ground for four solid months and we were finally getting rid of it. I came home from work each day this week curious to see how much more of our yard had emerged through the melting snow. I was excited for green grass and spring. Not so excited for more snow. What was "glass half full" a few months ago, now is "glass half empty."

Life and our day-to-day experiences with it have a way of molding our perception and perspective. But I have a part in the molding too. I can't control the weather. I can control my attitude and actions. Incorporating gratitude into both my attitude and actions helps me see the glass as half full. It helps me partake of the contents of the glass, which seems to refill itself more easily the more aware I am of the gifts in my life.

Have a good day!

Comments