Not Always Fair, Always Precious (Point #16)

Today I am grateful for this blog and how it helps me keep gratitude in the forefront of my thinking.I am also grateful for my counseling colleagues and the support we offer one another.

Point of clarity #16 is "Life isn't always fair, but it's still precious."

We are all entitled to moments of "life isn't always fair." There are plenty of examples we could all rattle off. If asked, I would rattle off:

-it's not fair my dad died before my son was born
-it's not fair I can't drink anymore
-it's not fair I got breast cancer (or my two sisters, or my friends either)
-it's not fair that depression runs in my family
-it's not fair...

See, it's easy to rattle off how life has been unfair to us. Easy, but not very helpful. Have your moments, but don't stay there.

It really boils down to dwelling in the "poor mes" or dwelling in a place of gratitude.

If I focus on what I don't have, what I didn't get, and so on, life starts to feel quite unfair.Conversely, if I focus on what I do have, what I have been given, life feels full and rich. I don't feel mistreated. I feel blessed.

Blessed with precious gifts like life, my five senses, air to breathe, family, friends, faith, love, goals, working legs and arms, food to eat, a heated house, a closet full of clothes, time, today, this moment.

Comments