Hidden Waters

Today I am grateful for the morning quiet that allows me to gather my thoughts and gives me time to do some writing. I am also grateful for the hidden water sources in my life. Read on.

Here are a couple more paragraphs from Anne Lamott's latest book, Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers, from the "Thanks" section:

      So I say "Thanks," because revelation has shown me things that are miserable that somehow I may get to sidestep; or that are miserable but that prayer and friends help me find a way through; or that are painful and beautiful in ways that make your heart ache, that draw you closer forever to the comrades who have walked with you.
      Without revelation and reframing, life can seem like an endless desert of danger with scratchy sand in your shoes, and yet if we remember or are reminded to pay attention, we find so many sources of hidden water, so many bits and chips and washes of color, in a weed or the gravel or a sunrise. There are so many ways to sweep the sand off our feet. So we say, " Oh my God. Thanks."(p. 53)

Gratitude is always possible. I believe. Even in difficult times. Even through some of life's biggest challenges and most heart-wrenching losses. And as Anne Lamott says above, it so often is bearable because of the people that help us through. I have been blessed with such people. Family. Friends. My husband. Fellow recovering alcoholics or cancer patients. And sometimes it is a complete stranger and an interaction of a few seconds that helps us through.

Sources of hidden water abound when I keep my mind and heart open to the possibilities of each day. Pay attention indeed. For me, the only way I can stay open and willing is to start from a place of gratitude and to start by thanking God or my Higher Power.

Have a good day. Drink up.

Comments