Find the Good

Today I am grateful for a visit with my brother and his family. I'm grateful for the safe travels they had here and for the enjoyable time together.

Time with family is precious. I am reminded of that more and more as I get older. I appreciate that they took the time to come to see us. My brother and his wife have two kids close in age to ours. It is nice for them to be able to spend time together as well.

It is easy to find the good when the weekend has been pleasant. But it is still possible to find the good even in unpleasant circumstances. My new gratitude journal (Thanks Dorothy!) has daily quotes in it.A recent one has this quote by Alex Haley:

"Find the good--and praise it."

Short, to the point, good wisdom.

It is similar to the Dove promise I had in another recent post:

"The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate."

Four years ago I was recovering from my bilateral mastectomies. Progress was incremental. Daily exercises helped me get my range of motion back in my arms. A loving and patient husband helped me come to terms with my revised body. It was a tough time emotionally and physically, but I truly believe that focusing on the good, celebrating the progress, helped me through it more smoothly and moved the healing process along more quickly.

Consider trying it today. Find the good. Praise it. Repeat.

Comments