Free and Effective (Point #7)

Today I am grateful for heat that works indoors when the temperature is below zero outdoors. I am also grateful for a conversation with my friend Sheila.

Here we are at point of clarity #7: "Endorphins are free and very effective."

If you know me and/or have done any regular reading of this blog, you know that I love to exercise and I love the benefits of that exercise: time to myself, taking in nature, mind-clearing, and the endorphins that give me a natural mood boost.

Don't take that to mean that I think endorphins are all that is needed to feel better. For some people with mental and physical illness diagnoses, the need for prescribed medications is real. I am so grateful that there are efficient medications that help people I love and care about. I do believe that exercise, if possible, can complement the medications.

I am grateful that when cancer came calling I was able to maintain some level of exercise. Even when all I could do on my worst days was walk a few blocks, it felt good to be able to do that. There are some vivid memories I have from the weeks I was undergoing chemo and one of them is feeling almost euphoric when I could go out and run for 20 minutes. On my worst chemo days, I couldn't muster much energy after I did the necessary things--like work, family and self-care. So to feel good enough to run 20 minutes gave me such hope and such a boost that I was going to make it through this.

I also recall 25 years ago when I was still drinking. If I had a bad hangover, I would often force myself out on a run. I called it a punishing run. But it would also end up being a cleansing run. I would sweat out some of the alcohol and feel better. It would be enough to calm some of my rocky emotions too.

Over the years, I have gone on many a run after a stressful day at work. Stride by stride, the stress would fall away.

I'm hooked. Definitely hooked. I am fortunate that it hasn't been hard to maintain the motivation to go out for regular endorphin fixes.

If you are looking for the motivation to exercise, apply gratitude. Being able to exercise is a gift. Having the proper attire and shoes, the time, the equipment or access to the equipment, are all things to appreciate. Don't let all those gifts go to waste. Go chase some endorphins today.

Comments