Day In and Day Out (Point #1)

Today I am grateful for my job and the students, parents, and co-workers I get to interact with. I am also grateful for support from others in recovery from alcoholism.

Point # 1 from "17 Points of Clarity" is "All any of us have is today."

Nitty-gritty gratitude day in and day out doesn't mean I always have a smile on my face and preach living life to the fullest. Some days suck. Some days I wonder who is out to get me. Some days I am exhausted and disheartened. I always look for meaning in my life though, and that is easier to do day by day. And you know what? I always find some meaning.

Pain hurts. But pain reminds me I'm alive. Joy feels good and reminds me how much better it can feel after the pain. Without both pain and joy, I don't think I could really appreciate what I do have. We have to lose some things before we realize their value. We have to love with an open heart before we can know true joy.

In cancer circles you will hear people talk about the fear of metastasis(spread to other areas of the body) or recurrence (more cancer in the same spot). These are huge fears for some, huge sources of denial for others, and perspective finders for still others. I am in the last category. I am not paralyzed by fear or numbed by denial. I am a realist, on the lookout for changes in my body, but not obsessively so.

That said, I read the writings of metastatic breast cancer patients like blogger Lisa Bonchek Adams (http://lisabadams.com/) and I have a spike in fear. She is living my worst nightmare, and she is doing it with grace and dignity, like so many other MBC patients. But she knows she is dying. Unless something else claims her first, she will die from metastatic breast cancer. If you want to know the real value in this day, talk to or read the words of someone who knows their days are numbered.

Remind yourself of this when you are saying goodbye or good night to someone. We never know when it may be the last time we see a loved one. I feel better ending with "I love you" just in case. And it's a win-win. I don't think a sincere "I love you" is ever wasted on either party.

In reality, all of our days are numbered. Which is a perfect lead-in for this line:
"Don't count the days, make the days count."

Comments