A Pattern That Needed Breaking

Today I am grateful for my job. I enjoyed my time off, but I appreciate the job to return to.

I am also grateful that gratitude letters #14 and #15 are on their way.

I am thinking of my dear friend Sheila and her family today. Her brother passed away suddenly, in his mid-40's. Thoughts and prayers go out to her and her whole family.

The pattern I am referring to in the title for today's post is a cancer pattern that developed in my family. My sister Zita was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004, my sister Mary Jo in 2006, and me in 2008. Mary Jo had a second cancer, a primary lung cancer, diagnosed in 2010. I was a little nervous for 2012 with that every other year pattern that had been going on. Now, I can safely say the pattern has been broken.

But that doesn't mean complacency or being lulled into a false sense of security. It is important to remain ever vigilant with my health and be aware of changes in my body. I hope my family members are doing the same, both those who have had cancer and those who haven't.  Every first and second degree female relative in my family now has a strong risk for breast cancer. And it doesn't matter how far out from our diagnoses we are, those of us who have had cancer could suffer a recurrence or metastasis.

This is scary stuff. But I choose to not live in the fear. Fear can be paralyzing. Instead, I try to face the fear with faith. Do I do absolutely everything I can for my health? No. But I do pretty well.

Gratitude helps me not take my health for granted, which inspires and motivates me to take care of myself. And the sudden death of my friend's brother reminds me that all any of us have is today.
Tell those you love that you do.

Comments