New Glasses (Point #4)

Today I am grateful for sunshine and good parent-teacher conferences for our son. I am also grateful for the better view that gratitude provides me.

Point of clarity #4 is "Gratitude is a good pair of glasses to wear. It makes everything look better."

Like the bathroom mirror after the shower steam clears.

Or the car windshield after the defrost mode has done it's work.

Like going to the eye doctor and finding the right prescription option.

Or focusing on what is going well rather than what isn't.

That is what really helped me through the worst post-chemo days and the toughest early days after cancer surgeries. I'm walking, talking, laughing, breathing. I'm loved and supported. Things sure look better from that vantage point than they would through the "Why me?" and "Poor me!" lenses.

And then the lyrics of one of my all-time favorite songs comes to mind-Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now."

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright, bright, sun-shiny day
Look all around, there's nothin' but blue skies
Look straight ahead, nothin' but blue skies

Figuratively speaking, these words capture what regular practice of gratitude does for me.
When I can see my blessings, rich and varied, the clouds do clear.

Have a good day!

Comments