A Sad Day, But a Good Day

Today I am grateful for old friends, safe travels, and an early morning run in the fresh, cold air.

This morning I was running into the coming daylight. Yesterday morning I was driving into it. I was on my way to Des Moines for the funeral of Chris, my friend Sheila's brother. I met my friend Beth halfway and we made the rest of the trip together. I appreciated the time with Beth too.

Chris died suddenly at age 47. That is a tough one. No time to say goodbye. Such a shock. So unexpected. So young. But there is some comfort for family and friends because Chris was doing what he loved with people he loved.

It was good to see Sheila, her family, her siblings. It was good to see Beth and several other classmates and friends. Chris was a year behind us in school, so we ran with the same crowds. The service held to celebrate his life was very nice. Chris clearly made a difference in many lives in many different ways. I hope it also brought solace to his loved ones to hear the words of those he touched.

The time with Beth was good for catching up. (And thanks for driving Beth!) The brief conversations with other old friends meant a lot. To be able to hug Sheila and be with her on a most difficult day made the trip and the miles well worth it. At our age, it tends to be weddings and funerals that bring us together. But it isn't supposed to be funerals for younger brothers.

It was good to see my friend Deb and her family and her home in the middle of a remodel too. Though the visit was brief, it is always good to see her.

Make time for friends and loved ones. Take time to tell them what they mean to you. I am grateful for the day I had yesterday.

It was a sad day. But it was a good day.

Comments