Two More Taken By Cancer

Today I am grateful for another sunrise to appreciate and for a nice anniversary evening out with Darcy, highlighted by beautiful weather and a swinging bench along the Mississippi.

Damn the devastation of cancer.

On this last Saturday, my high school classmate Randy died of pancreatic cancer. He was 54. Yesterday, Janine, a fellow member of our local breast cancer support group and participant in the "Voices of Hope" DVDs, died of metastatic breast cancer. She was a few days shy of turning 66.

I hadn't kept in touch with Randy over the years, but he was in my thoughts and prayers since I heard about his diagnosis. There is a connection that remains with classmates. Class of 1983 in our hearts.

I hadn't seen Janine recently, but had been getting updates from her Caring Bridge site and from others in our support group. We were both in both Voices of Hope DVDs back in 2010 and 2012. Members of our families joined us in the second DVD. I think of Janine's family now and what they went through the last two years since her MBC diagnosis.

I think of my sister Mary Jo. Her death has been cancer's most direct hit in my life. With all the women I have gotten to know through support group, it was inevitable that someone from the group would die. I had just sent Janine a note a couple weeks ago. One last connection with a fellow BC sister.

I am deeply saddened by these deaths and sufficiently angry at cancer and the toll it keeps taking.

I watched parts of the DVDs again. They can be found here on the Hastings Breast Cancer Support Group website. Emotions came bubbling up and rolling through. Necessary and ongoing grief.

Rest in peace Randy and Janine. You have seen your last earthly sunrises. I will cherish the one I am getting this morning.


Comments