Another Bench Message

Today I am grateful for playful squirrels I got to enjoy watching, and for time with our inquisitive grandson Leo this morning.

I saw another good message on a bench along a trail the other day. This bench is about a mile from our house, on a stretch of trail we pass many times, on foot and on our bikes. Because it is close to home, we don't typically stop there. I had never read the memorial plaque on this one.

So the other day I decided to stop. I love this portion of our city's trail system. It is one of my favorite places to watch the seasons come and go. This bench also affords a nice view of the minor river that goes through our city. Not the Mississippi across town, but the Vermillion. The sound of the river flowing by is also a welcome treat from this vantage point.

Taking a moment to read the plaque, I saw that it was dedicated to a local couple who "loved the great outdoors." It closed with this quote:

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." 

Patience to observe the coming and going of seasons is easier for me to come by than the personal patience required for so much of what we are faced with. Nature is a good teacher in so many ways.

Ironically, the "Minnesota state bird" sent me on my way. That would be the mosquito. The quote and the lesson on patience didn't get chased away though. They remain with me, to slow me down, to help me keep a more natural pace rather than push too much. It's a good start to this day and any day. 

I will be taking a blog break into the middle of next week. Have a good day and nice weekend! 

Comments