Active Participant/Rocky Mountain Road Trip

Today I am grateful for the awe-inspiring beauty of the Rocky Mountains and for time. Time to feel and heal.

Though I did plenty of observing on our recent trip, I was also an active participant.

Along with four of my siblings, I eulogized Mary Jo at the service held for her. My closing words included: "In my opinion, cancer didn't win. It broke her body, but it didn't break her spirit. That vibrant spirit lives on."

I participated in a ride up Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park with several other family members. It had been years since we had gone this far into the park, this far up the road. It was amazing. I have forgotten how exhilarating and stunning the view and the drive are. Thank you to my brother Neal for safely navigating our vehicle both up and down the mountains.

As our time together wound down, I also joined several family members in a game of Zilch. It's a fun dice game sure to bring surprises, playful ribbing, and laughter. It never disappoints. My brother-in-law Roger especially enjoyed this game. We play in his honor when we get together. He died in 2015 from early onset Lewy body dementia.

I attempted to sing along with others the evening of Jo's service. I guess I succeeded in the actual singing, just not the sounding good part. Jo was known to break out in song when a word or something else reminded her of a song. We honored her in our family sing-along and it was a blast of healing and grieving all wrapped into one.

Here are two more pictures worth sharing. My sister Ann made sure some of Mary Jo's favorite flower-gladiolas-were present at her service, just like they were in our yard growing up. Thank you Ann! And the mountain picture only starts to do justice to the view that greeted us.



Be an active participant in the day ahead. And remember that active doesn't always mean moving. Sometimes an active participant stops, pauses, and fully participates in the moment at hand.

I will be taking a blog break again into next week, actively participating in family time. Have a good day! 


Comments