Life's Playing Field, Day by Day

Living gratefully today, I give thanks for safe travels in recent days and reliable vehicles. I also give thanks for the family time and the memories, conversations, and laughs shared.

I am grateful for time having good fun with our grandson Leo yesterday afternoon too.

Darcy, Sam, and I spent well over 25 hours driving and had time in four different states, counting our home state of Minnesota, over the course of eight days. We had our moments (Who doesn't with this much time together in small spaces?), but for the most part we were good travel companions and enjoyed the various scenery and campus experiences we had.

Sam has some big decisions to make in the next months. The biggest in his life so far. He has his options narrowed down and we've done the physical tours and meetings. He'll make the best decision he can at the time, with our guidance and support, and then we'll see how things go. No decision necessary today. The gift of time is a good one here.

We each face daily decisions too. Most of them rather inconsequential compared to deciding on a college and career path. But all decisions happen in a moment. Maybe a spur of the moment one like what to order at a restaurant. Maybe the moment, after weeks and months of deliberating and researching, that a person's gut says this is the way to go, this is my decision.

And then we proceed with our choices, day by day, seeing how it all unfolds. Patience, faith, courage are especially helpful with the more significant decisions. They all play out day by day though.

I was reminded of this as we toured hallowed and historic Memorial Stadium at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. We got to walk the red carpet (no shortage of red on this campus) and head out onto the playing field. We walked past this sign:


Life's playing field. We each wake up to a new day today. New choices await. Previous choices continue to play out. Day by day. Hour by hour. We each traverse our own versions of hallowed and historic ground, our own decisions major and minor.

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa –

    I read your daily posts and am always so inspired. This one, in particular, stood out to me as I live in Nebraska, and ran the campus during that week while presenting at a conference. My son is on campus currently as a sophomore at UNL, and the organization I work for was started by Coach Tom Osborne.

    There are mornings where I often send your words on as inspiration to others, and your messages often reach me at just the right time. I just wanted you to know your experience, wisdom, authenticity, and vulnerability in sharing is inspiring, and far reaching. I am grateful that Grateful Offerings helped me find your blog!

    -Allyson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment