Be here, or be __________

Living gratefully today, I appreciate a roof over my head and people I love under that roof with me.

A recovery connection recently used the phrase “ be here or be stuck . . .” It resonated with me for a number of reasons, mainly that it is my daily goal: be present. My default has often been to get lost in thought, to replay those thoughts over and over in a loop, to my detriment. To the detriment of my mental and emotional health.

I have come a long way in becoming healthier regarding this, and there is plenty of room for improvement still.

Be right here, right now. Or somewhere else. Be stuck . . . in yesterday, tomorrow, my head, an unidentified emotion.

I know I am not alone in this struggle. I have many conversations with others who find the idea, and the feeling, of presence to be a bit elusive. It is my impetus to practice living gratefully, pursue regular attempts at meditation, attempt to sit down and do nothing other than take in my surroundings from time to time.

Two of my saving graces have been running and writing. The very nature of these pursuits is practicing presence. Run one step at a time. Compose one word at a time.

Practice makes progress possible. Progress makes some peace attainable.

There's another blog break ahead. I'll be back composing early next week. Have a good day, enjoying the gift of the present moment.

Comments

  1. I'm expressing my awe while proclaiming that this post was extremely well made and the administrator has my gratitude for sharing the aforementioned post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment