World Gratitude Day?

Today I am grateful for a sense of peace and for our ideal marathon training run yesterday.

After a challenging 20-mile training run a couple weeks ago in the heat and humidity, my husband Darcy and I are both also very grateful for the ideal conditions we had yesterday. We were quite happy with the run, enjoyed the cool air and early morning scenery, and chalked it up as a great run to have under our belts just four weeks out from our marathon. 

Here is a little scenery shot I paused to take along our route as the sun came up: 



Switching gears now, did you know that today, September 21, is World Gratitude Day? It has been designated as such by the United Nations since 1977 and began in 1965 (a good year I might add). It reportedly began in Hawaii thanks to meditation guru Sri Chinmoy. He was the director of the UN Meditation Group at the time and suggested the idea as a holiday to unify people around the world. As I researched Chinmoy a little, I also found out he was someone who enjoyed running and encouraged physical activity as an avenue to spiritual enlightenment. I can relate to that!

I like this idea. A holiday that unifies. That is even a challenge for many at the level of their own family, much less globally. 

But I had never heard of World Gratitude Day before this weekend when I happened across it while reading other blogs. There wasn't a ton of information and activities to be found, but I did see these colorful graphics:




I appreciate the efforts, and if even a handful of people who weren't giving gratitude a try before today start doing so because of something they see regarding WGD, then it is worth it.

I am more a fan of daily practice though. If I only practiced gratitude every September 21 and every November for Thanksgiving, pardon my language, but I would be screwed.  

It takes time and effort to go from the levels of self-pity I used to wallow in to the levels of peace and gratitude I can sometimes reach.  Daily effort.

If you have considered starting a gratitude practice, but haven't done so yet, today would be a great day to launch your efforts. It works. It really does. Happy "World Gratitude Day" and have a good day! 

Comments